BLIK cheques: innovative way to support Ukrainian citizens – quick and safe withdrawal of money provided by the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR)
Ukrainian citizens who have crossed the Polish border on or after 24 February 2022 can apply for financial support from the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR). In Poland, they will receive the money quickly and safely using BLIK cheques.
BLIK cheques are a ground-breaking service: Ukrainian citizens who do not have an account in a Polish bank, a payment card or a bank mobile app can now withdraw money. All that is needed to get cash from an ATM is a smartphone: a unique nine-digit BLIK cheque number is texted to it. This is the only solution of this kind in the world and a fantastic way for governmental organisations, NGOs or charities to provide financial assistance.
The solution has been developed in cooperation with Santander Bank Polska and the UNHCR. The financial support from the UNHCR is intended to ensure a dignified life for the Ukrainian citizens until they are able to go to work or obtain some social allowance. The first Ukrainian families staying in Warsaw already received this financial support in March this year. The programme is currently being expanded to other towns and cities that provide shelter to large numbers of people forced to flee Ukraine due to the war.
How to receive financial support using BLIK?
To receive the financial assistance, the Ukrainian citizens should register at a UNHCR reception centre. First, they will be given a secure password and a BLIK cheque number – it will be send to them as a text message. They can use the number to withdraw money from ATMs.
When and where can I cash a BLIK cheque?
You can cash a BLIK cheque within 7 days of receiving it. The BLIK cheque number can be used to withdraw money only from the ATMs located in Poland and operated by Santander Bank Polska, PKO BP, Millenium, BNP Paribas, mBank, ING, SGB as well as Euronet and Planet Cash.
How to withdraw money using BLIK: step-by-step
To withdraw money, please follow these steps:
- Once you have registered at the UNHCR, you will receive a 4-digit password.
- On the day following the registration, you will receive a text message from SANPL (Santander Bank Polska SA).
- The text message will contain a 9-digit BLIK cheque number.
- Do not share your BLIK cheque number or the 4-digit password with anyone.
- Once you have received your BLIK cheque number and the 4-digit password, go to the ATM of your choice.
- Make sure the ATM works correctly – check the screen for information about any technical problems.
- If the ATM works fine, select CARDLESS WITHDRAWAL/BLIK.
- Enter your BLIK cheque number.
- Select the transaction amount – enter the exact amount that was specified in the text message you received.
- Remember that you can only use your BLIK cheque number once, and that the full amount has to be withdrawn.
- Confirm the operation by entering your 4-digit password – you have up to 2 minutes to do that.
- Wait for the ATM to dispense the money.
- If there is any technical problem with the ATM or the BLIK cheque fails to work, please call the helpline: +48 618 565 266 – it is open from Monday to Friday (09:00-17:00).
- If you have lost your BLIK code or the 4-digit password and need a new one, please contact the nearest UNHCR cash deposit point (open Monday-Saturday: 08:00-16:00).
If you need any additional information on how refugees can access the UN Cash Assistance programme, please visit https://help.unhcr.org/poland/information-for-new-arrivals-from-ukraine/.
For further information, please contact:
BLIK Press Office
M +48 501 086 280